Jenny, here's how to solve this trouble.
when it says growl is in the background, go through windows by
command+tab (i am not sure the voiceover command to switch among
applications, ctrl+options+f1+f1, or double-tap with 2 finger to the
left with trackpad, works)
anyway: when you reach growl, it would say: growl has no windows
then, go to the dock with ctrl+f3 or the dedicated voiceover command.
look for the Growl icon, then, control+option+shift+m.
you should find a menu popping up, and there you'd find the growl preferences!
if the menu item is grayed, you should go up with up arrow and find
reactivate growl
I wasted one hour behind this issue!