What is the command to turn tracking on? I am looking at a macbook air today.
thanks much.
larry

-----Original Message----- From: Anne Robertson
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2012 11:08 AM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Track pads

Hello Marc,

If you buy a Mac laptop, you'll have a built-in trackpad, but if you buy a desktop Mac, you'll have the option of buying the Magic Trackpad instead of, or as well as, a mouse. There are no other brands of trackpad that work with a mac.

As for it's limitations, there are a number of navigation commands already mapped to gestures on the trackpad, but you can add the VO commands you use most frequently and map them to unused gestures.

It isn't exactly like the iPhone because Mac OS X isn't IOS 5. So, on the Mac, you have gestures for interacting and stopping the interaction, for instance.

None of this will make sense to you until you have a Mac and learn about the OS.

Using the trackpad with VoiceOver means turning on the trackpad commander which renders the trackpad inoperable for moving the mouse. However, a simple gesture turns the trackpad commander off and on, so getting sighted help to fix a problem is still possible.

I can't give you any comparisons with Windows and its various screen readers as I've never used Windows.

Cheers,

Anne