here are the details required.

http://perian.org/

download the dmg file.

open it, you will find a file called perian.pref.

run it.

you will be asked for your admin password (if you have set one, input it, if
not, just hit enter)

you will be asked if you want to install it to all users or just you. for best
results including making a recovery user, install to all users.

you will be asked for your admin password again.

after this, it's installed and system preferences updates itself with the icon
installed at the bottom.

this doesn't need any attention as it's auto configured and is system wide.

lew