Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something unusual set up here. They typical way things are configured is you have a DSL or cable hookup which goes to a combo router, firewall, hub and wifi box. From that box all your devices either connect to the wifi or are hardwired to network ports on the device. So whether your PC is on or not the internet should be still working since the PC is just another connected device. If that's the case then you should be able to connect your Mac up to the same network just fine since the internet protocol everything uses doesn't really care about what the device is. If your PC is somehow the router/firewall/wifi then that's pretty unusual and I would suggest reconfiguring to make the router box the beginning of the chain.

CB