WIth OS Lion in the default configuration, it will attempt to restart all your
programs that you were running when you shut the computer down.  This could
take a while depending on what  was there.  Also, some folks on the list have
suggested that hitting alt-tab after boot is required.  I have never personally
encountered that but it is worth a try.  Also it would be useful to know what
the beast actually is...  Is VoiceOver working enough that you could use VO-F2
and/or VO-F1 to get the window name and application name respectively.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan C. Cohn
jonc...@cox.net