So the Mac actually has two kinds of audio output, analog stereo and optical/digital multi-channel.

The first is probably more familiar which would be to have a mini-headphone cable with standard left/right RCA connectors on the other end which you run to an input on the receiver and you get nice stereo sound. There are only two sound channels so if you want to get all fancy with a subwoofer you would need some kind of crossover gear to send only the low sounds to a subwoofer and leave everything else in your main speakers. This probably isn't done much for home listening but I've known audiophiles who went to this trouble.

The second is a new(ish) setup where up to six separate channels of audio are combined into one high-speed data channel and sent via fiber optic cable from your mac to your receiver. The hadphone jack on your Mac will detect when a miniTOS link cable is plugged in and turn on its optical output hardware. The other end goes into any rececent (last 10 years or so) home theater receiver with optical inputs. The receiver will decode the optical audio signal into left, right, center, subwoofer, rear left and rear right channels. Usually there are built-in amps for all the channels except the subwoofer, so you just connect 5 standard speakers to the 5 plugs and you get all the surround sound goodness. Most consumer subwoofers come with a built in amp tuned to the speaker so the receiver just gives a 'line level' output on an RCA jack to run to the subwoofer. That's why they call it 5.1 for five speakers plus the subwoofer.

As far as what you actually get, for most music recordings you only get stereo, so having all the other speakers doesn't do much for you. Most receivers have all kinds of fancy modes to put 'something' in the other speakers but in the end it's just stereo. Most receivers also will do trickery if you, for example, don't have a subwoofer. All the 5.1 stuff kicks in when you have a DVD with 5.1 audio tracks, which is pretty much all of them. So of course if you buy a DVD of some concert you'll probably get the full surround stuff, but really old movies are just stereo since that's all they had back then. Sony, back in 99, tried something called a Super Audio CD which had all the channels at high quality like a DVD but was just for audio. It pretty much flopped but is still around and some folks really like it. I haven't tried playing one of these on my Mac so I'm not sure what it would do.

Not sure what your budget is but you can pick up a plain jane 200w receiver for about $150 new, so don't spend to much on that old used unit. If you're waiting for one that has true all mechanical/analog controls you might find they are quite old and probably have a lot of noise in the controls from years of use/dust/dirt. Another possibility is to just get a real amplifier and be done. Most amps have just one pair of inputs, real physical left/right volume controls and one pair of speaker inputs. Prices on plan old amps range from around $90 for a 300w cheapie to thousands for high power high end stuff. I've used QSC 300w stereo rackmount amps for years which run about $300. Since the mac output is line level you can run it (with the right cable) right into one of these things and be done.

Hopefully this will help wrap your head and not warp it :)

CB