The main issue with Ajax is that updates to the page are not noticed by the screen reader unless the developer moves focus to the changed content or sets a live region attribute on the container. This isn't something mere users can fix other than setting a hotspot on the area so changes can be noticed. Another snag is when a part of the page is 'rotating content' where they tick through some stuff like top news stories or the like. This can be quite disorienting if you're in the middle of reading and focus suddenly gets yanked to the next story because things ticked. Usually there is a pause button which stops the ticking, but not always.

CB