Good Day:

        I've put the answers to your questions, at least as much as I know of
them, in the extract from your original message below. Since I've only used Mac
OS Lion, though, someone else might have additional information. At any rate,
here goes.

HTH:
Henry

Education never ends. It is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.
Sherlock Homes

On 28 Apr 2012, at 15:32, Alex Hall wrote:

> 1. I deleted a message, but vo said nothing and I was jumped to the bottom of
> the mail list. What happened?
        Your message was moved to the trash mailbox. I don't know if you have
your messages column sorted from oldest to newest or not, but that might be why
you're moved to the bottom of the message list. If you want to make sure that
you have actually deleted all the messages you didn't want to keep, you can, of
course, look at the trash mailbox. There is a favorites bar at the top of the
window, but I prefer to go to the view menu and choose the "show mailbox list'
option. Both are accessible, but I don't know how you would go about adding a
mailbox to the favorites bar, which, as I understand, allows you to switch to a
mailbox with a single keystroke.

> 2. Why can I not quickly read messages? I tried cmd-j and tab, but nothing
> happened, yet a new message appeared in a conversation as though I had just
> read the oldest one, though I had not. I can hit the "stop interacting"
> keystroke twice, then vo-right a few times and interact, but there has to be
> a better way.
        The keystroke to jump to the preview pane is VO-J. Command J, I think,
marks the message as junk, though I'm not quite certain on that point, since it
doesn't show up in the menus to my knowledge.
> 3. I hear a lot about "classic view". What is it, and should I switch to it?
> What advantages does the normal view offer over the classic?
        The new view introduced into Lion is very similar to the view of
messages you might get on the GMAIL website, that is, messages with the same
subject are grouped into conversations, which you can expand. The classic view,
in contrast, displays all the messages in a larger list, with columns
containing the information (date, from, subject, etc.) of the message, rather
like you might see with KeyMail on a BrailleNote. Both views are accessible, so
most people recommend experimenting with them and seeing which one you prefer.
The option, as you probably already know, is in the View menu with the name
"Organize by Conversation".