This has been true with any UNIX based operating system, in the past 40 years.
There are two solutions:
1. BIOS style password.  This is a password that is required before single user
mode can be entered.  I believe MaCs have this ability, but I have not looked
for it.
2. Run with Lion's encripted (file vault) disk system.

And actually an encrpted file system is your only prottection when somebody has
access to your machine, since in any other situation, the disk drive could just
be removed from the computer and mounted on a different system.  In fact, there
are versions of Linux that will run on a CD that allow one to do all kinds of
"interesting" things to the host computer.

Be safe out there,

Jonathan

Jonathan C. Cohn
jonc...@cox.net