Caps lock is about the only key you could use since control, option or command alone is already in use my many apps or the OS.

CB

On 5/6/12 11:04 AM, Eric Caron wrote:
Hi Alex, Jonathan and others,

        This is a great thread but I must say that I still think it would be
very very helpful to be able to have the Voice Over key be one key.  I ordered
a full USB keyboard about a year ago so that I could use the num pad commander.
 I like it a lot, but frankly, I would not need it if the Voice Over key could
be assigned to the caps lock key.  It is a matter of keeping my fingers on the
home keys.  I'm much faster on the keyboard if I can just leave my fingers on
the home row and type away.  But with Voice Over keys needing two fingers I
just can't do that. Further on the portables VO keys are only on the left side.
 this forces me to do all kinds of finger contortions to do a simple command.
I'm glad Voice Over gives us lots of ways to do things.  I use them all but,
every 6 months or so I write to accessibility@@apple.com and ask please please
can I have the caps lock key assignably as the VO keys?  It would be great to
have this be one more VO option.

It was a thread like this one that caused me to purchase a full size keyboard,
so I could use the num pad commander.  This helped a great deal.  Still it is
time for me to write my next reminder to apple!

Warmly,

ERic Caron