Applescript can be very picky about things.  I was working on a script
yesterday to look at XML files, and whenI passed the XML file in Apple HFS
style or as a Script File object it complained about not being about to convert
the file to an integer.  Then when I used Unix / posix file name standards it
worked.

I'll be glad to take a look at your script.
In terms of saving as an application, if you are planning to attach the script
to a VoiceOver shortcut it will not matter.  Basically as an application you
can double click on the applescript and instead of starting the applescript
editor it will run the commands.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan C. Cohn