To use tab to go between controls, try the following:
Go to system preferences, and to the keyboard button.
Near the end of the keyboard shortcucts tab which is the one you want, you'll
see an option that says Full Keyboard Access: In windows and dialogs, press Tab
to move keyboard focus between:
 Text boxes and lists only radio button. or
all controls, which is also a radio button. If you select the second radio
button, this might be what you need.
Rachel