Hi Chris,

It's actually possible to merge PDF files with Preview if you can drag and drop
to the thumbnails in the sidebar, but I don't think this works with VoiceOver
drag and drop -- at the very least it would be difficult.  If you have Skim
downloaded there's an embedded SkimPDF command line tool that lets you perform
operations like merging and extracting PDF files in Terminal.

If you look under: /Applications/Skim.app/Contents/SharedSupport/  there are
three applications: displayline, skimnotes, and skimpdf.  You need to copy
skimpdf to somewhere in your default path with executable permission using your
Admin password.

Open Terminal and type or paste in:
sudo cp -p /Applications/Skim.app/Contents/SharedSupport/skimpdf /usr/bin/

and press "Return".  You'll be prompted to authorize with your Admin password.
The "cp -p" does the copy preserving permissions so you can execute the
commands.

Then to merge two pdf files from the command line you can type:
skimpdf merge file1.pdf file2.pdf merged.pdf

The specification of an output file like "merged.pdf"  is optional.  I think if
you don't specify an output file, the second file just gets appended to the
first, but you should experiment.  You can also find out the syntax of commands
by typing:
skimpdf help

For more information, take a look at the SourceForge wiki for Skim:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/skim-app/index.php?title=Main_Page

Then use the link for the "SkimPDF Command Line Tool" to find out more.
There's also a specific SourceForge wiki for the SkimPDF command line tool:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/skim-app/index.php?title=SkimPDF_Tool

There are probably other sources of merge tools around the web, but this works
if you already have Skim anyway, and are comfortable with the Terminal command
line.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther