I have fairly limited experience with all of Safari but I have always used the
Commend-arrow keys to go back but I use tabs as much as possible.  I believe
Safari under Mountain Lion does more with tabs instead of opening new windows.
I usually go back by pressing Command-w to close tab or window and that usually
works for me.  Maybe I'm missing something too.