I removed all remembered networks.  I recycled the modem and router.  We'll see
what happens.  It seems like I can switch about f5 or 6 web pages, and then it
just drops out.  It still shows as connected in the airport menu and in system
prefs, but no internet.  Let's pray it stays connected since I did the reboot
of the router and modem.  Someone had also set a speaker right next to the
router, which had not been there before.  I moved that too.

I hope there's nothing wrong with the wifi device in  my MBP.  I know things
can interfere with the signal, but nothing has really changed around here,
except for that speaker that I just moved.