Last I checked, once the dial pad is in focus, you can use the row of
numbers on your keyboard, or if NumLock is On, the actual number pad,
to dial digits into an existing call, such as to control an answering
machine or voicemail system.

And I just proved that this still works in recent Skype 5 releases.
You may have to press Space more than once on the dial pad button
before it works, but it does work. If you're running JAWS and my Skype
scripts from http://www.dlee.org/skype/, Ctrl+Shift+D turns on/off the
dial pad. Again, you may have to do this more than once, and the
Ctrl+Shift+D command may not say the correct status sometimes
unfortunately. But I just managed to enable, dial, and disable the
dial pad via the keyboard several times in a SkypeOut call while
typing this message.