The virtual machine files are separate from the VMWare Fusion app so if all you do is delete the old app there should be no impact on the virtual machine files.

If you get info on any document there is an Open With section where you can pick what app will open it. Just after that is a Change All button to tell the OS to always use your application of choice to handle files of this particular type.

CB