If you're focussed on a tweet of a user you'd like to follow, pressing
command+option+apostrophe will get you straight to the user action menu button.
Then you'll vo+down arrow until you hear "following status  sub-menu." Open
that with vo+right arrow, and go down to follow. Press vo+space on that, and
you'll be following them.