Hi,

• Bring the item you wish to make a Ringtone from into Fission.
• Play the item until the place you wish to start the Ringtone from and pause
it there.
•  Press cmd-t to Split the clip at the Playhead.

Now comes the part that sometimes is tricky.  You'll need to use the items
under the Clip menu.  What I usually do is press cmd-[ (left bracket) to select
the previous clip then press cmd-k to crop the selected area.  You can then
play the new clip to confirm that everything was cropped properly.  Sometimes,
in this case, I've had difficulties determining whether to use cmd-[ or cmd]
for selecting previous or next clip because the wrong thing gets cropped.  In
these situations, I just press cmd-z to Undo my error then use the opposite
command.  Remember that the Undo remembers multiple actions so the Undo is
quite useful.  After I have the start position set, I move my playhead to the
end position and use cmd-t to split the clip there.  I can then use the same
process again to crop the leftover away.  Now I'll have a segment that is less
than 40 seconds that can be used as an iTunes Ringtone.  Just go under the File
menu and select Save As Ringtone and it will be done.

Hopefully, this is clear.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada