Hi all,
My message is below Apple's reply, but the gist is that I want vo to say
something like "multi-line edit text" when encountering a textarea element.
Basically, I want to know if pressing enter in a form will submit the form or
insert a new line. I've never heard vo make this distinction, but Apple says it
does if the site is coded right? I'm a bit confused, as my (out of date)
knowledge of html tells me that the textarea element is multi-line while the
input element with type set to text is single-line. So, what extra coding is
required? Am I going crazy and vo really does say this? Any thoughts?

Begin forwarded message:

> From: accessibil...@apple.com
> Subject: Re: have Voiceover distinguish between textareas and single-line
> inputs in html areas
> Date: October 30, 2012 5:47:02 PM EDT
> To: mehg...@gmail.com
>
> Please include the line below in follow-up emails for this request.
>
> Follow-up:  236112754
>
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your email. Apple relies on each application and web site
> developer to properly implement the necessary components into their
> applications that allow VoiceOver to work correctly. The functionality you
> have requested is already available in VoiceOver if the site or application
> you are using provides the appropriate alt information to VoiceOver. We
> recommend that you contact the app or web site developer directly to provide
> them feedback on the features you are finding do not work.
>
> Apple Accessibility
>
> Hello,
> One thing Voiceover does not do on OSX (or, to my knowledge, iOS) is
> distinguish input types. That is, a single-line input field (an input element
> whose type is "text", 'email", or some other variant) is spoken as "edit
> text". Likewise, a multi-line field, a textarea element in html, is spoken as
> 'edit text". Please add more description to one or the other so the two can
> be differentiated. For instance, have textareas be specified as "multi-line
> text input" so that users know that pressing enter will insert a new line
> instead of submitting a form. I realize it is a small change, but it is a
> huge help to screen reader users to know what that all-important enter key
> will actually do. Thanks for your time.
>

> Have a great day,
> Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)
> mehg...@gmail.com