Dear listers,

I'm reinstalling someone else's mac at his request. His keyboard layout is
Belgium, i.e. not English, that's the point, and the braille table is European,
not US. This was the case right before the reinstall of mountain lion, but
strangely, it is still the case even after the reinstall.

. Why does the mac remember the keyboard layout, and not default back to US,
and why does it stick to the European braille table, even though no previous
settings should be still around after the reinstall?
I was hoping that, with a clean mac, it would start by default as US English,
with screen language being US, but that is Belgian by default. Also, I would
expect the US braille table by default but that is still European, and even the
keyboard layout is still Belgium and not US, after a clean install. What is
happening? Am I wrong in assuming that the default for any reinstalled mac is
US English? The oddest thing happening is that software update is now in
French, of which I don't understand much. In fact, so little that I cannot make
sense of the software update page. I looked in language and text, but nothing
was set to French, I set everything back from Belgian to English US, rebooted,
but no luck. It sticks at Belgium keyboard, screen text and braille table. Any
ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Paul.