Cheree Heppe here:

I find the IPad Mini easier to locate Icons on and have no problems carrying it
in the smaller back pack compartments.  It is definitely lighter weight than
the standard IPad.

I have used the tethering option, but found it slower.  You might try getting
one of those MiFi gadgets that look a little like a mobile phone, but are a
wifi generator.  They go through the phone bands.  I'm testing this modality
currently.  There are several drawbacks.  There is no easy way to tell if the
unit is on or off.  I tell this by querying the phone and it lets me know when
the wifi is connected.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Cheree Heppe