Hello:

It's been a long time since anyone on list has heard from me. I am doing well,
although university life keeps me constantly weighed down. Anyway, one of the
few things holding me back from a complete transition from Windows to Mac OS is
Pages-if I could solidly rely on a word processor on the Mac side, I would be
much closer to abandoning Windows and Microsoft Office. So, I have a few
questions.

Recently, I tried to write a sample APA-formatted document. I successfully set
the font, however I ran into a few issues with the rest of the formatting. I
found that when I leave the "body" edit field and return to it, I must press
VO+shift+space to simulate a mouse click before I can type or navigate within
the text field. Also, although some formatting commands work when typing (i.e.
italic toggle, bold toggle, etc.), when I leave the "layout area" and navigate
amongst the various options with Voiceover, everything appears to be dimmed,
including the option to toggle italics, bold, etc. I tried to change the line
spacing and modify other things, but literally everything was dimmed, even the
majority of the options in the menus. I thought that this might be because the
mouse had to be focused in the edit field before changes can be made; I thought
this because keystrokes to turn italics and bold text on and off worked when I
was typing in the body field.
Even after fiddling with some VO cursor tracking options, I still encountered
these issues. So, in short, how does one use Pages? I'm sure I could learn
keystrokes for every action, but I'm out of luck if I go browsing through the
various options, unsure of exactly what I wish to change. I will do some
fiddling, but I would like to get this figured out. Here's what I need to do to
set up an APA-style document.

The font needs to be 12-point and Times New Roman. The document needs to be
double-spaced, with a 0pt "spacing after" option (no extra spacing between
paragraphs). The document needs to have a running header and a plain page
number in the top right corner of each page. All margins must be set to one
inch.
So, how do I do all that? Those are the general guidelines for the initial set
up of an APA-style document. Of course, there are countless rules regarding
writing style, formatting of figures, equations, numbers, abbreviations, etc. I
should note that I don't want a template-a template teaches me nothing; I need
to figure out how to change these settings myself, and build my own template,
if I so desire. I appreciate anyone's input on this matter.
Thanks,
Robert Hooper
hooper...@buckeyemail.osu.edu
The Ohio State University, Department of Psychology; Department of Neuroscience
572 Stinchcomb Drive #3
Columbus, Ohio 43202
(740) 856-8195