So if you have everything you want to burn in a folder, what happens if you pick that folder and then choose Burn To Disk from the file menu? It's been a long time since I used CDs or DVDs for backups but I vaguely recall that it would spread what you've got over multiple disks. Worth a shot. At worst you waste one piece of media finding out. If you're interested there are unixy ways to compress everything into one big file and then split it into chunks that fit whatever size media you are using. At some point though your time might be more valuable than the cost of media and you should just do time machine to some external storage. I found an external USB 500GB drive here for $50:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/836243-REG/Hitachi_0S03452_500GB_Touro_Mobile_USB.html

That starts encroaching on the media cost of a few spindles of DVDs, not to mention avoiding a lot of hassle.

CB