Hi,

How about I explain a little detail about the Apple TV to clarify:

1.  There's no need to connect your Apple TV directly with a USB cable other
than to restore it.
2.  Your Apple TV connects either wirelessly via WIFI or with an ethernet cable
in order for it to access content from your computer.  There is no way to add
content to this model of Apple TV as it simply accesses all its content from
your Mac's iTunes Library.  It has no internal storage at all other than what
is used for the OS.

If your Apple TV 2 does, for whatever reason, require a restore, follow these
steps:

• Unplug all cables fromt he unit.
• Connect a Micro USB-B cable to the Apple TV and the other end to your Mac.
• In iTunes, you should now be able to click the Restore.
• Let it do its Restore and subsequent updates.
• After this has completed, disconnect the USB cable and connect your power and
HDMI connection to your TV.
• Setup your Apple TV including connection to your WIFI or ethernet network and
connection to your Macs iTunes Library.

HTH.

Later...

Tim Kilburn