Okay, this doesn't solve your id tag problem but it will make your songs play
in the right order.

1. Make a playlist from the folders on your hard drive or wherever they are
that are in the right order. You can make one big play list or a bunch of small
ones. I've done this by opening the folders in vlc and then saving the
playlist(s) as m3u (it's in the vlc file menu).

(2) In iTunes preferences in the advanced tab, uncheck the box for iTunes to
copy files to iTunes Media when it adds them to the library. Actually, you can
let it copy them if you want but if you are keeping them elsewhere in the right
order, don't bother.

(3) import your playlist(s) into iTunes. The files will be added to the iTunes
library but your files won't be copied and iTunes never messes with the
organization of files elsewhere than the path to your media folder. .

Now, if you try to view and play your files from the songs view, they will be
out of order. But as long as you play them from playlist view using the table
for your playlist, the songs should be played in the right order because they
follow the playlist you imported and not iTunes' reading of the tags.

If you are planning to fix the info for the songs this might only be a stopgap
but if you want to play your music in iTunes in the right order, it should do
the trick.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth