Okay, I guess the first question is: how do I know if I have the latest version
of dropbox? Would I get an update notification?

I do have desktop notifications checked and I do get notified of changes on my
Mac running Mountain Lion but the notification is just announced and doesn't
interfere with anything I am doing. And it doesn't appear anywhere in the
notifications list in system preferences. Dropbox also appears in my extras
menu and I can check for changes there if I've missed anything.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart