Also, once you get it hooked up, at least with my old mac mini, there were
settings to change in Utilities > Audio Midi Setup for using the speakers more
fully. I remember this from having used a 5.1 surround system with my old mini
but it had a controller you plugged the speakers into and just one plug to be
plugged into the computer so I can't say anything about adapters.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart