Actually, at least sometimes, there is a way. I'm sure there are different ways
of doing this but here's what I did. I discovered this when I was having
trouble getting files to download from Christianbook.com and nothing else, not
even the context menu or option enter or assigning a key combination to right
click, worked.

1. I went into System Preferences > trackpad. in the first tab, point and
click, I checked "secondary click" and I chose  "click in bottom right corner".
You can also choose "click in left bottom corner" or "click with two fingers".
Now when I'm having trouble downloading something, I first make sure my mouse
is on the link I want to download; I do this by having my voiceover cursor on
the link and then doing cmd-option-ctrl-f5 (with fn if necessary) to move the
mouse to the link and then doing vo-f5 (with fn if necessary, depending on the
function keys checkbox in Keyboard in System Preferences) to make sure the
mouse really did move (sometimes it doesn't). Then  I  try pressing the bottom
right corner of the trackpad. If successful, this brings up a context menu but
it has more items usually than just the context menu you get with vo-shift-m
would have. One of those items is "save linked file as ...".
 This brings up the "save" dialog you are wanting.
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,