I am using one with a digital audio cable to the receiver, and it works
well--you get the full 5.1.
Note, I have tried using HDMI to the TV. I have TV audio going into the stereo,
but the audio from Apple TV does not get passed on to the receiver from the TV.

Also note, I cannot get HDMI input from Apple TV to stereo to show up on the
screen. A direct connection to TV seems required. Other HDMI inputs from the
receiver show up on the screen.

I have read that Apple is trying to prevent piracy, but this seems pretty far
fetched.