First of all, these aren't my suggestions; as I explained they are a previous
post by Tim Kilburn.

Secondly, different things work better for different people, depending on your
experience and what your computer is doing. The reason for the comments about
using fn if necessary is that you can have f1 f2, f3, etc. set to be used as
standard function keys in System Preferences > Keyboard and your setting
determines whether or not the fn key is also needed. as for the "trackpad
stuff", some people choose to use the trackpad more than others but it's a good
idea at least to become familiar with trackpad and mouse terminology to some
extent because there may be times when that's the only way you can accomplish
the task even if that method isn't usually your preference. This terminology
isn't actually unprecise. But certainly each of us finds that one way of
performing a task is easier than anothr and this preference varies from person
to person. It's good to have more than one way of doing things.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart