Well, if that's the way it was for me, yes, it would indeed be quite tiedous
and cumbersum.  What I am telling you, however, is that, on my Mac, all I need
to do is press the left and right arrow keys-bear in mind that quick nav must
be off for this to work-and the file  scrubs so I know instantly where I am
every second.  Now, I get to a point where I want to drop something in or take
something out.  Well, I just press space to stop the playback head, then, rout
the insertion point to that spot and do what ever it is I intend.  It's always
been that way for me.  Seems to me there's something different between your
setup and mine then-for you see-scrubbing in the way I have described has
always worked for me.  I do seem to recall you've always had that issue though.
 Perhaps if you have quick nav on, you might wish to turn it off.  IF that's
not the case, you might need to get rid of your Amadeus Pro system prefs file
and start over.  Perhaps we need to go over my settings on Skype sometime so
that we can compare yours and mine to see if we can figure out why you cannot
scrub and I can.

Very odd indeed.

Sincerely,
The Constantly Barefooted Ray
Still a very proud and happy Mac and Iphone user!