I think it's having pitch change enabled. And all the voices will do this lower
pitch thing, kind of like on the iPhone when you encounter a text field, and
you have pitch change on. I'm not sure how to disable it, or if it's possible
to get the lower variation of your chosen voice to be the primary voice.