I'm not sure you have to route the mouse. I think doing cmd-option-shift-delete
and then leaving the option key held down while releasing the other does this.
At least I seem to remember doing this but I could be wrong because it's been a
long time. But I still would be concerned about what I was emptying. Tim is
right about restarting yyour computer though usually my computer says "the
trash could not be emptied because item is in use". My concern was because of
the large number of items Chris had that couldn't be emptied.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14 HCSB)

On Jan 22, 2013, at 9:42 AM, Alex Hall <mehg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just read an article about this, and it gave a couple suggestions. One is
> in terminal and required dragging and dropping files from trash to terminal,
> so I don't know if that will work. The other said to hold down the option key
> when selecting the "empty trash" item in the menu, so try going to the item,
> routing the mouse, then holding option while you physically click the mouse.
> If you don't have a mouse, I'm not sure how you could replicate this.
> On Jan 22, 2013, at 10:02 AM, Tim Kilburn <kilbur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't believe that a re-install is necessary.  Have you Shutdown or
>> Restart your unit lately.  Often, if there are files that the OS considers
>> "in use" or "busy", the Trash cannot be properly emptied until after the OS
>> has been restarted.
>>
>> Later...
>>
>> Tim Kilburn
>> Fort McMurray, AB Canada
>>
>> On 2013-01-22, at 5:04 AM, Chris H <christopher...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Good afternoon all.
>>> I am having a problem eptying the trash. This has been happening for a
>>> while now. Here is what I do.
>>> 1. I press command-shift-delete in the Finder.
>>> 2. I am asked if I want to securely erase the trash. This is my personal
>>> preference so I let it go ahead.
>>> 3. I then get a window with the buttons remove unlocked files and remove
>>> all.
>>> 4. I click remove unlocked files.
>>> 5. It goes ahead and empties it for a while, but then I'm taken back to the