Perhaps setting the volume without skype's intervention would suit your
purposes better. If you're in the table in skype that begins with skype home,
and goes to contacts, just press vo+j when you hear contacts, and you'll be
taken to the contact list table. You can then press "S" to get you to the
section of your list that has contacts beginning with that letter. Vo+down to
get to skype test call, vo+shift+M to invoke the contextual menu, and press
vo+space on call. You can then press cmd+shift+H to disconnect when finished.