I'm really hoping that someone can shed some light on this.

I am having an issue with Growl which is just, absolutely making me crinch!  I
honestly never have been very good at configuring Growl, but this has put me
over the top in perplexity.  First of all, when I interact with the toolbar
under the preferences, and go to the displays tab, the first option under here
I see which says something to the effect of the default style, is set to smoke,
but is dimmed.  So, I can't change that popup button to speech or anything of
the like.  Next I see a popup button which says default action.  I was able to
set that to speech, Down below in the table, I did manage to move it over in
there to speech, and I was able to set the speech settings as I liked, preview
them, and all sounds good.  The only issue now is, if I leave that table
selected on Speech, but then hit command+W to close out of Growl's preferences
window, if I then go back in and open a program, say, like, Menu Weather, or
something which basically would then force growl to come up so I can test
things in real time, yeah, it speaks fine, but Voiceover also reads the pop up
notification.  So because of this, what I get is the default system voice,
Alex, reads the growl notification, but then Voiceover also reads it.  It's
totally! wickedly bizarre!  I dont' get it!  I don't ever recall having this
problem.  Yeah, I went to restart Voiceover, and that did no good.  About the
only thing I've not done yet is restart the whole Mac system.  I can't fathom
this!  Please can someone tell me step by step how to configure this so that
effectively, growl will send the notifications to my system voice, but
Voiceover won't get in the darn way trying to also read them?

I literally have uninstalled Growl temporarily until I figure out how to set
this correctly, as it's driving me nuts!

Chris.