Go to the voiceover utility (vo+f8), and scroll down the table to the
commanders category. Then scroll to the keyboard tab, and choose the enable
commanders checkbox. You'll then have the popup button asking which key you'd
like to use, keeping it at the right option key is probably best. Then go to
the add button, and you can write in   a letter combined with the right option
key to perform a task, such as opening an app which you do in the command menu.
Rachel