Hello Donna and Brandt,

I'm still using Filer, which is an app that I got long ago to download files on
the iPhone.  I just tested this on my iPad by sending myself an email with a
link to an AppleVis mp3 file podcast.  Since this is an mp3 file that is not
compressed, opening the link in mail on the iPad causes the file to play in the
Safari Browser. I stopped playback, and then opened Filer, which gets the last
URL that Safari was pointed to.  Then I double tapped the button to download
it.  If I use landscape view, the downloaded file is listed in the sidebar at
the left.  If I'm in portrait view, I have to double tap the "Menu" button in
the top left to bring up a pop up that shows the files.  I can play the files
within the Filer app, and because it has persistent memory, it will remember
the place that I stopped and resume from there.  I can also transfer the
downloaded files to my computer, if I double tap the settings button at the
bottom left corner of the screen in landscape view.  (Or it's the bottom left
corner of the screen in portrait view when the pop up menu to display files is
up.)  You flick right to hear the web sharing settings, which will originally
say "Sharing disabled", then continue to flick right past the "off" button to
the "on" button, and double tap.  Then, if you flick left, you'll get the URL
you should enter in the address bar of your computer's browser, if you want to
transfer files, and your computer is on the same wireless network as your iPad.

There are other ways to transfer files, if you use a web browser app like
Atomic Web Browser or iCab Mobile, both of which support downloading, and there
are other file downloading apps.  The nice thing about Filer is that it can
handle a number of file types and keep track of the position because the
persistent memory storage.  Of course, you may be using VoiceDream Reader now
for many of those other file types such as .RTF, etc.  Filer also supports
Dropbox integration.

I think that Brett now prefers another downloading app over Filer, but you
could ask about this on the viphone list.  Here's the developer's web page for
Filer, where you can read more about the features of this app:

http://hammockdistrict.com/filer

The App Store link is:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/filer/id318884764?mt=8

HTH.  Cheers,