Ok, if saving your battery life is a specific thing you're wanting to do, I
have one of the Newtrent, I think it's spelled, battery packs, that you just
plug your IPhone cable into, then plug it into your phone, and absolutely love
it.  It comes with a power cord that you plug into an outlet to charge it,
which you'll have to do when you first take it out of the box, and you'll most
likely want to do this overnight; at least that's what I did, sense I ended up
plugging it in late in the afternoon, and I'm not absolutely sure how long it
takes it to charge..
  There are 2 different one's, I think I have the heavy-duty one, because it's
kind of a decent size, and ends up fitting in my jacket/pants pocket, but can
last a pretty good while.
  I took a trip up to NC about 2 months ago, which was about a 9 hour drive,
used several apps off and on, and didn't have to charge it until about a day or
so later, so I'd strongly recommend looking into one of these.  I got it as a
Christmas gift, so can't remember how much they cost right off, but they're
well worth it sense you can carry it around and don't have to look for an
outlet/car charger, then have your phone tied down like it's a house phone.