Hi Jürgen, Anne, and Others,

I also generally keep my mouse cursor set to ignore other cursors for more
stable behavior, unless I'm working in an app with transitioning accessibility,
where having the cursors track can help in the navigation.  Anne, I'm surprised
that input from French Mac users, who are a pretty large community, hasn't been
given more attention at Apple with regard to the pronunciation issues of
accented characters in PDFs in Preview.  I recently suggested to Mike Busboom
that he might want to get Voice Dream Reader on his iPhone in addition to
Read2Go, when he posed a question here about continuous reading.  Although I
gave him a number of reasons that I thought this would be of interest to him,
since he likes to read German books and documents using the Infovox/iVox
voices, I didn't mention that one advantage would be having the accented
characters in PDF documents read correctly!  There was a post a month ago on
the AppleVis forums from a Brazilian iPhone user who was complaining about the
fact that accented characters for Portuguese and Spanish PDFs weren't read
correctly in iBooks, and hadn't anybody noticed this.  He'd already spent a lot
of time trying to solve this by performing conversions to ePub format, without
much success in getting this simply and successfully done, and was annoyed that
this problem persisted. Were there any PDF reader apps for the iPhone that
didn't have this problem?  I told him to contact accessibil...@apple.com, and
that unfortunately, I didn't have a good solution short of using an ePub
version of the text in iBooks, or getting Voice Dream Reader to read the PDF
content on his iPhone with Portuguese and Spanish voices obtained through
in-app purchase at $1.99 each.

If you look in the archives, you'll see that Rafael Bejarano raised the
question a few times whether people found the original Preview running in Tiger
to work better than the versions that ran in Snow Leopard and later versions of
the Mac. The changes in reading order of columns and tables (where VoiceOver
reads all the elements in the first column, then all the elements in the second
column, etc.) came in the later operating systems.  If I use Preview on my G4
PowerBook that dates from 2005, columns read find, and the navigation is
stable, although there are far fewer options.  I used to wonder whether Apple
switched the default format of the "VoiceOver Getting Started Guide" on their
accessibility web pages from PDF to HTML, because it would have been
embarrassing to have the columns of VoiceOver commands listed in the Appendix
tables read out of order with VoiceOver in the later operating systems, when
the PDF version of the guide was used instead of the HTML version.

For simple cases of tables, such as the ones listed in the Appendix, I can use
the free, third party pdftotext program from Carsten Blüm's installer packages
pages:
http://www.bluem.net/en/mac/packages/

(This is not signed for Gatekeeper, so you need to OK it's installation on
Mountain Lion systems)  Three months ago I had some off-list exchanges with a
member of the Mac-access list who wanted to read his PDF bank statements on the
Mac, and sent him the following AppleScript to test, based on the pdftotext
program.  This uses switches to keep strings in stream order ("-raw") and
maintain the original physical layout ("-layout").  The AppleScript is just a
wrapper around the "pdftotext" command so it can be used from the GUI, since
"pdftotext" runs from the terminal command line:
---Cut Here---
(*
Use pdftotext to create a text version of the selected PDF file in steam order
    Created 26 January 2013; modified from PDF to Text AppleScript of 17 May
2011
*)
on run
        tell application "Finder"
                set chosenFile to the selection as alias
        end tell
        do shell script "/usr/local/bin/pdftotext -layout -raw " & quoted form
of POSIX path of chosenFile
end run
---Cut Here---

This did work for Paul's banking statements, but not for some other, more
complicated PDF documents.  You're welcome to use it if you want. You can
either paste the sample AppleScript code into an AppleScript Editor window,
with the option of playing around with the code, and just Command-tab between
AppleScript Editor and Finder to select a file in Finder, then use Command-r to
run the AppleScript in the AppleScript Editor. Then you can save the final
AppleScript to the Library/Scripts folder of your account (e.g. Command-Shift-g
then type or paste in "~/Library/Scripts" for the folder location. Or
alternatively, you can just save the script directly into the ~/Library/Scripts
folder under your user account after testing it with Command-r, without making
modifications.  Either way, the script will then be available from the
"AppleScript" menu of your services menu bar (accessed with VO-m-m or
Control-F8), assuming that your preference menu for the AppleScript Editor has
the box checked for "Show script menu in menu bar" under the General tab.  So
you should be able to highlight your a pdf file in Finder, navigate to the
AppleScript menu (VO-F8, arrow to menu, then arrow down and press the first
letters of the script name), then press return to run the script on the file.
This should produce a text file of the same name as your selected file under
the same directory.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther