Dear listers,

I have a Western Digital 1tb drive attached to my mac. Its file system is mac
os extended, journaled, so that should all be fine. However, when I go to this
drive in finder, by simply hitting command down arrow on its volume icon on the
desktop, finder crashes. Voiceover says I'm still on the desktop, but my wife
says she sees a window with 2 buttons: reopen, or cancel. I cannot reach this
window myself using command accent, nor with vo twice f1, nor by turning vo off
and back on. If my wife clicks the error window, then yes I can see it with vo.

While googling, I found a solution that advises to delete all mac files from
the root. I think they mean, delete all dot files and let os10 create those
from scratch. But I have no way to get into the drive.

This is a fresh mac os10 installation, and I haven't been in terminal since,
but when I open terminal and then press my braille display up key, VoiceOver
says last login, and then a date. I should normally be able to read the
previous line in terminal, i.e. the result of my commands. I need to find out
how to get terminal on its feet again, but that's a different problem.

I'm hoping to find a way to solve this finder crash when opening the external
drive, starting by deleting the files on its root that start with a period.
According to a post I found on the net, that may solve finder crashes when
opening an external drive. I tried command g, go to folder in finder, but that
command crashes finder as well, when I type in /volumes/macserver1. macserver1
is the volume label of the external drive.

Any ideas? What can I do to let finder open this drive? CrashPlan is backing it
up just fine, so it should be accessible to the os. It's just that finder has
problems with it. Any advice?

Paul.