Hi. Regarding audio work, yes, of course you want to have all your
sessions on an external hard drive. Upgrading the internal drive is
still a good idea though. The likelihood of a mechanical drive failing
is far higher than that of a solid state drive failing. so, for peace
of mind, it's a good idea if you can afford it. (This can always be
done later in any case.)

Having an ssd moves things along a lot quicker with everyday tasks
too;software updates, backing up, restoring if need be etc.

Also, for critical recording, a machine with a solid state drive is
going to be far quietter than one with a mechanical drive.

And just a note on pro tools for anybody who may not know already...
Pro tools under mountain lion has some accessibility setbacks that
have not been resolved yet. Edit fields being read as "blank" and
certain menus and plugs not being accessible being some of them. The
best course of action for now is to stay with the latest versions of
pt8 or pt9 under OSX 10.6 or 10.7.

Finally, there are no gains with the new version of pt10 that was just
released, or in pt11 so for now, save your pennies. Hopefully these
issues will be resolved but Apple aren't very open with progress or
any sort of time table as is the case with the lack of logic
accessibility. We shall see...

Cameron.