Vo+J is your friend when accessing chat history and when going from table to
table.
Also, keep in mind that when you're sitting in a chat window on skype, it won't
make the sound to let you know a new message has come in. So you'll probably
want to command+tab away from the application while waiting for a new message,
then skype will make the alert.
Other than that, and if you remember to be out of the application when waiting
for a message, it's a pretty good experience.
Have fun, and shout if you have questions!
Rachel