Hi Brandt,

There is an iPhone chess clock app that is accessible with VoiceOver
called the Merkmatics Chess Clock ($0.99 in the U.S. App Store).
Unfortunately, it does not seem to be available in the South African
App Store,  (I know you remember the problems of getting the
accessible versions of chess game apps into the South African App
Store.).  Here's the URL for the developer's web site, where you can
read a complete description of its features:
http://www.merkmatics.com
For users in other countries, here is the App Store URL:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/merkmatics-chess-clock/id347870076?mt=8

This is a universal app, with simple layout for the two counters, with
the record of time and number of moves. The one unlabeled button in
the center of the screen, between the reset and the pause/resume
button, gets you into the settings screen, where you can separately
set the startup clocks and delay times for each player, as well as
choose the type of delay.  Delay notifications are switched on by
default, and you can select the sound, or make this silent.  There's
also an end of game sound that can be chosen or made silent. The
contact email address for the developer, Mat Merkow, also given on the
web page, is: supp...@merkmatics.com

Using an iOS app for this purpose seems easier than scripting
Numbers.  To answer Chris' question, with the iPhone app, if you have
one finger on your large countdown button that occupies about a third
of the active screen, you can do a split tap with another finger to
hit the timer.  Or you can touch the button and then double tap, but
that takes longer to register,

HTH.