Hi Alex

That is actually standard behavior for a push button calculator.
You might be interested in my app.  It is called UnitMaster and as the name
implies, has a lot to do with unit conversion, but it is also a fully
functional scientific calculator.  It also shows the expression used to
calculate the answer.  It uses a standard edit field for inputing and it can be
edited in the normal way.  There is an app store link to it in my signature.
Before you download it, however, understand that it is what is known as an RPN
Calculator which stands for reverse polish notation, That is, expressions are
entered in postfix notation, i.e., 4 3 *.
You can run the mac calculator in this mode as well and I would recommend that
you work with it awhile first.  Once you get the hang of using it this way, you
will never want to go back to using it as an infix.
I also like using something called octave allot.  It is an open source matlab
like environment that you can get through macports or homebrew.
Hope that helped.

--
                Barry Hadder
bhad...@gmail.com