Dunno without the error message. After doing the self update do you get any more errors? I found the whole install process to be pretty solid. I think you only need x11 if you're going to use GUI apps like GIMP. I'm usually after command line tools like sound editors and xml parsers so I don't even know if I have x11. Could be that something I installed depended on something that needed X11 but I didn't install it myself directly. I'm glad they manage to keep track of all those dependencies. Seems like one little update to one package can trigger installation of a dozen others :)

CB