Alex,

What you want is called MultiMarkdown Composer II. It's brilliant. YOu type
your markdown in an edit field and can VO once to the right to see the HTML
area with your rendered HTML. Exports to multiple formats and has a great help
section for all the supported markdown.

It's available in the Mac App Store but is also, I think, available outside the
Mac App Store.

It used to be able to be used by Mars Edit as an external editor, but now given
App Store sandboxing and other complications it cannot. The developer of Mars
Edit is working on an alternative though. However, I can recommend a bunch of
services which will allow you to copy your markdown and paste as HTML. You can
email me off list for these. You can also save as an HTML file, change the file
extension to .txt, and then copy and paste your code into the HTML editor on
Mars Edit.

Needless to say it works great with VoiceOver. I would do all my word
processing in MultiMarkdown Composer II except that I'm still not sure how to
handle all the CSS stuff and the footnotes don't work seamlessly when imported
into Microsoft Word.

Nic