Hello:
Firs of all, it is very important to determine if he wants to use VoiceOver, or
may be use zoom with VoiceOver.
If you activate zoom, but not VoiceOver, you can have the mouse to read what is
under it with speech, using the system voice. In that way, he can get used to
using speech, but also use his sight.
Zoom can be activated and deactivated with keystrokes, and you can select
either the full screen, or picture in picture, which is like a magnifying glass
that can scroll on the screen and amplify exactly what you want.
I also assist people who use their sight in different ways, and the combination
between zoom and VO has worked fine for me.
Also, try to play with him using the visual elements pane in VoiceOver Utility,
he can find some interesting options there depending on his condition.
Take care and hope it helps!
Best

Daniela Rubio T
 Distinguished Educator