The web player does work.  It's a little quirky but people seem to give up on
it to soon.  I can't say I like it very much, and I personally don't care that
much for spotify.  However, I've used it.  Make sure you have something
selected before you hit play such as a track or station.  There are hot keys as
well such as space bar for play/pause.