When you wish to check the attributes of text make sure you have interacted
with that text first. NOt just interacted with the text area, but actually
interact with the text. Use the VO keys to navigate around rather than just the
arrow keys.
I think what you're experiencing is that you are changing the text attributes
fine, but then you are just getting misleading feedback from VoiceOver
afterwards. This happens to me in any word processing app with VoiceOver if I
just use the arrow keys to navigate around, which is what I usually do.
Instead, for VoiceOver to be properly focussed and report text attributes
properly, you need to interact with the text and use the VO-up arrow and
VO-down arrow etcetera commands to move around your document.
Cheers,
Nic